Cooking with herbs adds a tremendous amount of flavor as well as color to any dish.
For many of us who enjoy cooking with various spices and herbs from our spice rack, herbs are a great way to test your culinary tongue, heighten your senses, and be as enjoyable as a roller coaster ride, however, there are many natural herbs that we cook with, herbs that are taken as supplements, and herbs use to garnish our plates that are harmful to pregnant women.
Do you read the directions on the back of a prescription bottle or herbal supplement?
Each bottle urges women to discuss taking any supplement with your doctor prior to using a supplement, but there is no label of fresh herbs warning against its harmful effects on a fetus in the herbs section of your local grocery store.
The American Pregnancy Association states that there are some herbs that can cause premature birth, miscarriage, urine contractions as well as prevent the development of a fetus while pregnant and nursing an infant.
It is always best to consult your health care professional or midwife when using any herbs or taking them as supplements on a regular basis but most of rarely discuss what herbs we cannot eat with our healthcare professional.
Here is a list of some of the most harmful herbs we use on a regular basis.
High Concentration of Toxicity:
- Pennyroyal oil
- Cottonroot bark
Herbs that induce menstruation and cause abortions:
- Black Cohosh
- Blue Cohosh
- Pennyroyal leaf
Other herbs to avoid:
- Cascara Sagrada
- Buckthorn bark
- Sweet marjoram
- Wormwood Yohimbe
- Pau D’ Arco
- Blood root
While these herbs have proven to be harmful during pregnancy, there are a number of herbs that can be very beneficial to you and your unborn baby.
The American Pregnancy Association recommends these alternatives if you have a common aliment if you prefer a more natural supplement instead of an over the counter medication.
The following is a list of herbs that can be used to assist in getting over colds and fevers.
For fever, Colds Runny Nose:
- Spearmint, Lemon, Chamomile, Dandelion Ginger, and Red Raspberry leaf Teas
- Yeast Infections:
- Oak Straw
- Tea Tree Oil, (used as an antiseptic and antibiotic)
- Hydrogen Peroxide, (common household cleaner)
- Colloidal Silver (antibiotic formula that is said to cure over 600 ailments)
- Lemon (freshly squeezed)
Other Beneficial Herbs
- Nettles is not commonly known yet is one of the most beneficial herbs that can be taken while pregnant. As a natural supplement, it includes nearly all the essential vitamins and minerals that is required by the human body for overall health. Nettle also aids in the rebuilding of your kidneys due to complications of sugar diabetes and eases leg cramps and spasms.
- Spirilina, Chlorophyll, and Sea Vegetation are other supplements that is considered a miracle supplement for overall health. If you truly want to cleanse your blood, cells and organs to ensure that they are in peak performance, try using any or all of these supplements on a regular basis.
- Collodial Silver – Do you feel your having trouble with breathing and may have a sinus infection? Trying to fight something as simple as a common cold can be rough however, a natural antibiotic is collodial silver. Whether you take it orally, by nasal passage or drink a teaspoon for ten days, this is another natural supplement that is said to aleviate over 600 ailments in the body. At the cost of about $12.00, it is a definatel value to help fight infections and colds.
While some herbs are aromatic to smell and a burst of flavor for senses, not all herbs are beneficial to eat while pregnant. Some herbs can be toxic to you and to your baby while others can be very beneficial.
Remember to always take a good multi-vitamin supplement with quality ingredients and no fillers in your diet. Talk to your doctor or health care professional for the required amount of vitamins and minerals you need on a daily basis.